Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Seeking Balance

Two years ago I posted in January and mentioned I was working at Rock Prairie Montessori school.  I love being with toddlers again everyday and have been very happy with my decision to spend more time with children and educators.  However, I continue to live here and want to balance my work life and home life so that Grace Note Farm feels more fully inhabited again.

I had a hysterectomy last month which meant about a month of worry before the surgery and a month of recovery afterwards.  I am happy to be recovering so well and am newly reminded of how grateful I am to have a healthy body that allows me to garden, sit with a child in my lap, or take a long walk.  It is 8 degrees outside right now, so the walk is more of a dream than a reality.  But in order to continue to be engaged in work that requires me to be so physical whether on the farm or in the classroom, I need a strong and capable body.  To engage in the world and my passions fully I recognize the importance of consistent and kind self-care. 

Zachary, my ballet boy is dancing at a residential school in Winnipeg, so I have only one child at home and much less driving and daily responsibility toward my own children than I can remember.

I want to balance my teaching, gardening, goat keeping, and soapmaking into a meaningful and peaceful work life.  I also want to invest time in my marriage, my family and my friendships with plenty of time to refuel my introverted self.

I continue to love learning, reading and knitting and want to keep each integral to my life.

I have struggled with blogging in the past because my many interests don't always seem to tell a coherent story but I am choosing to see them as integral to who I am and this blog as a way to explore and move toward balance.


No comments:

Post a Comment